4 Days of Cycling in Southern Dalmatia, Croatia – Makarska Riviera, Tučepi
Croatia week break for 4 people group
Join in a spectacular bike tour on Makarska Riviera – Tućepi and Biokovo Nature Park. You will have the chance to visit historical and traditional villages and towns, enjoy the landscape of the Adriatic coast, bike along amazing places, and of course relax and swim in the pristine sea.
Set day of arrival starting from 7th of September, enjoy post season period on Croatian coast, ideal for cycling!
- Trip type: Guided tour
- Lodging: 4* hotel Bluesun
- Terrain: Hilly with some climbs
- Difficulty level: Moderate with regular bikes (Cyclist needs to have a good level of fitness, terrain is partly flat and hilly, paved or unpaved, 30-40 miles per day)
- Difficulty level: Easy with eBikes (Cyclist needs to have a basic level of fitness, terrain is partly flat and hilly, paved or unpaved, 30-40 miles per day)
- Total distance: 100 Miles / 160 Kilometers
- Type of bike: Mountain bike / touring
- E-bike: rental included in price
- Private tour for minimum 4 participants
- 3 days of cycling along the sea coast
- 1 day cycling in the mountains in a national park
- 4 days touring bike, mountain bike, or E-bike rental
- 4 days with instruction in English
- Certified cycling tour guide, technical service and assistance on site
- Transfers during the tour, photo and video capture on tour
- 3 nights accommodation in 4* hotel
- 3 breakfasts and 1 wine tasting
Day 1: Arrival to Tučepi (Makarska Riviera)
- Distances and incline: 10 kilometers and 200 meters uphill / 6 miles and 650 feet uphill
On the first day we arrive to Tučepi, to our accommodation point – either hotel Alga or Afrodita, both 4* (four stars). For those not driving, there is an option of using transfer from Makarska or from some other places, like Brač Airport. After check in, you have time to make yourself comfortable and refresh in your rooms. Depending on your arrival time, we suggest swimming or a short walk through the place. After dinner, a short meeting is suggested to get know each other and to get familiar with a plan for the next day, including the testing of electric bikes.
Day 2: Omiš and Cetina river valley
- Distances and incline: 20-30 kilometers and 550-700 meters uphill / 13-18 miles and 1800-2300 feet uphill
After breakfast we’ll get ready to go to Zadvarje and viewpoint Križ by cars, which is 30 km far from our starting point. You’ll enjoy a fascinating view on the canon of the river Cetina, Hidroelektrana. At this point we are taking bikes and off we go! Now, our trip can officially start!! We are riding down the canon, along the old road, occasionally being overwhelmed by astonishing color of Cetina surrounded by rock formations. The longer we ride, the canon gets narrower and steeper. At the end of the canon, however, we are rewarded with a great view of Cetina flowing into the sea and of spectacular rocks in Omiš where you can spot some free and mountain climbers. This is one of the most beautiful canons in Europe, surrounded by steep rocks, leaving the impression they are kind of curved into the mountain.
We are riding along the other shore side of Cetina to climb the place Gata (see info). There is a sculpture made by Ivan Meštrović – Mila Gojsalić…and a lot of churches squeezed on one place. We are riding through the place Kostanje down to Cetina and crossing the river over the old bridge of stone. By climbing Zadvarje, our today’s route has been accomplished. We’ll have lunch in nearby tavern and return to our hotel afterwards.
Day 3: Blidinje lake and Čvrsnica / Pločno peak (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Distances and incline: 40 kilometers and 850 meters uphill / 25 miles / 2800 feet uphill
After breakfast, we are going by cars to the fascinating untouched nature below Čvrsnica, within the Nature Park Blidinje. We need ID documents because of crossing the border, and entering into Bosnia and Herzegovina. Our first stop is on the lake Blidinje located on the plateau 1200 m high. We can catch a glimpse of surrounding peaks exceeding 2.200 m. Our tour begins at the shore side of the lake and goes up to the peak Pločno, 2228m along the macadam road.
Upon arrival, we are served lunch in local restaurant – Hajdučke vrleti.
Depending on the batteries….
On the way to our hotel, we make stop in Imotski, riding again around Imotski lakes (cc 16-20km) about 1 hour, with photo stops.
Day 4: Climbing to St. Jure – Nature Park Biokovo.
- Distances and incline: 60 kilometers and 1700 meters uphill / 38 miles and 5100 feet uphill
This day will be split into two parts. There are 60 km ahead of us, first part of ascending and the second one of descending. We are riding up the highest road in Croatia, 1762m, towards St. Jure which is the second highest peak in Croatia. Ascent is long, you have to take water, but, eventually you will be rewarded with spectacular views spreading out all around you. During the first kilometers we’ll enjoy in shadows provided by the forest and in occasional views of Makarska coast. Later on, the views begin to embrace St. Jure, Biokovo’s hinterland and the gorgeous blue sea dappled with breathtaking greenish-white islands. At this point, we are even leaving the clouds below. On clear days, it’s possible to see the Mt. Monte Gargano in Italy, 210km far from us. Photo taking…
After leaving the Nature Park, we’ll take a break in nearby tavern and have lunch exchanging our experiences and impressions. After lunch we will head to near by winery, and cheers to each other for last 4 days of unforgettable memories…
NOTE: All proposed daily tracks can be extended or shortened, depending on the group needs.
- can cycle for 3-4 hours
- average riding experience
- little assistance required
- comfortable with extreme curves and leans
- average experience with unsurfaced roads
- steep ascents and descents
- can cycle for 3-4 hours
- regular riding experience
- assistance on demand (if required)
- experienced in riding a variety of bicycles
- comfortable with gravel and tarmac terrain and weather conditions
This tour takes place in Croatia and it will take you from the Adriatic sea coast (Makarska riviera – Tučepi) to the famous Nature park Biokovo,
The following dietary requirement(s) are served and/or catered for:
- Regular (typically includes meat and fish)
- Other dietary requirements on request
Things to do (optional)
Want to extend your stay a few more days? There is a list of additional places and activities for you:
- Mid and South Velebit
- North Dalmatia
- Plitvice Zipline
- Zrmanja rafting
- Bungee jump Maslenički most
- 4 days of cycling activities
- 4 days bike or E-bike rental (touring, MTB)
- 3 nights accommodation in 4* hotel
- 3 breakfasts
- 1 wine tasting
- 4 days certified cycling tour guide, 08:00-22:00
- Entrance ticket to naturek park
- Transfers during the tour
- Technical service and assistance on site
- Photo and video capture on tour
What’s not included
- Personal cycling gear (gloves, etc.)
- Refreshments and drinks
- Travel insurance (optional)
- Transfers from and to airport (optional)
- Lunch & dinner