4 Days of Mountain Bike and Boat Adventure in Northern Kvarner and Velebit, Croatia
Croatia week break for 4 people group
Join in a spectacular bike and boat tour along the Croatian sea coast – Kvarner bay region and in the beautiful Northern Velebit National Park. You will have the chance to visit historical and traditional villages and towns, enjoy the landscape of the Adriatic coast, bike along amazing places, and of course relax and swim in the pristine sea.
Set day of arrival starting from 7th of September, enjoy post season period on Croatian coast, ideal for cycling!
- Trip type: Guided tour
- Lodging: Center-based
- Terrain: Hilly with some climbs
- Difficulty level: Moderate with regular bikes (Cyclist needs to have a good level of fitness, terrain is mostly hilly or unpaved but they will ride on flat terrain sometime, 20-30 miles per day)
- Difficulty level: Easy with eBikes (Cyclist needs to have a basic level of fitness, terrain is mostly hilly or unpaved but they will ride on flat terrain sometime, 25-30 miles per day)
- Total distance: 65 Miles / 105 Kilometers
- Type of bike: Mountain bike / touring
- E-bike: rental included in price
- Private tour for minimum 4 participants
- 3 days of cycling along the sea coast
- 1 day cycling in the mountains in a national park
- 4 days touring bike, mountain bike, or E-bike rental
- 7 days with instruction in English
- Certified cycling tour guide, technical service and assistance on site
- Entrance tickets to national park, transfers during the tour, photo and video capture on tour
- 2 days of boat ride and ond boat tour to Goli otok island
- 3 nights accommodation in luxury mobile houses
- 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 1 wine tasting
Day 1: Arrival to Klenovica
- Distances and incline: 10 kilometers and 200 meters uphill / 6 miles and 650 feet uphill
You can come to Klenovica either by yourself or if you prefer to one of the 3 nearby airports where Cycling Adriatic can pick you up. Luxury mobile houses in Klenovica camp will be your home and starting point for the next 3 days. Let’s meet each other with a welcome drink on the house terrace or by the pool and learn all about the activities and agenda in the upcoming days. You can try the bikes and Cycling Adriatic will fit them for you. You can choose between regular or eBike models (MTB and touring). You will also have free time for lunch/dinner and swimming.
Day 2: Bike and boat: Krk (Baska and Vrbnik)
- Distances and incline: 20-30 kilometers and 550-700 meters uphill / 13-18 miles and 1800-2300 feet uphill
Today, you are taking a boat and starting with an easy 1,5-hour cruising. Breakfast will be served on a boat. Boat trip ends in Baška witch is place of an interesting history that dates back to the prehistoric period, with astounding sights dominated by the 1800 meters long pebble beach, Vela Plaža, and miles of mountain trails leading to unique landscapes such as the Moon plateau, an entire century of tourism and numerous customs; all waiting to be discovered in Baška – a small place with big traditions.
A short ride through the center and coffee break. If you choose MTB, you can continue on the trail road up to St. Ivan and reach Moon plateau on top of the Baška, than you continue on mixed terrain towards Vrbnik. If you choose touring bicycle, you ride straight to Vrbnik, mostly on side roads with a magnificent view. First mentioned in 1100, Vrbnik is undoubtedly one of the most famous Croatian villages. It became famous thanks to its Glagolitic heritage. When Croats arrived at Vrbnik it became a fortress with a spectacular view. It became widely known after the song “Vrbnik above the sea” and the Golden Vrbnik Žlahtina wine.
On arrival to Vrbnik, you will taste famous Žlahtina wine. A short ride through the place and your boat will pick us up. Lunch is ready and served on the boat. On the way back you will stop on a nice swimming spot. After, you will enjoy free time for dinner and rest.
Day 3: Bike and boat: Rab (Lopar) and Goli Otok
- Distances and incline: 40 kilometers and 850 meters uphill / 25 miles / 2800 feet uphill
Rab has a rich history with many historical figures. Settled by Illyrians in 350 BC, Rab became an ancient Roman municipality in the 1st century BC and developed into a center of the eastern coast of Adriatic, called Felix Arba (Arb is Illyric for dark, lush). Its glory days began between the second half of the 11th Century all the way to the 13th century when it was governed by the Croatian rulers, as well as members of the Venetian Republic in a form of a free Adriatic commune. It was later sold to Venice in the 15th century and remained in their rule until the end of the 18th century followed by a brief interlude under Napoleon.
The same as the previous day, you will first enjoy a boat trip and breakfast, you will have around 2,5 hours of boat cruising ride. You will reach Lopar on the Island of Rab, where you will start your round tour. The finish will be on Heavens beach, with nice scenery on lookup on the bay and in the back on Velebit mountain range.
You will jump on the boat again, and on the way back to Klenovica and have lunch. You will stop on Goli otok (literally translated Naked Island) – aka. „Croatian Alcatraz“. There you make a short tour to see, listen to the story, and lookup inside of the most famous prison in Croatia during socialism. Free time for dinner and the rest of the day. You will say goodbye to your captain who drove you around for the past two days. Tomorrow you’ll look at all those places you visited but from another perspective, from the mountain peak.
Day 4: National Park North Velebit: Zavizan
- Distances and incline: 35 kilometers and 700 meters uphill / 22 miles and 2300 feet uphill
After check out, you have a short transfer with the vans to the entrance of the national park, on 900 meters / 2700 feet altitude. From there we will start with our bicycle tour. The Northern Velebit National Park is recognizable by its preserved biodiversity, a richness of the natural phenomena and experience of pristine wilderness. It is a space for gaining new experiences and the stronghold of sustainable development for the surrounding local communities, based on traditional crafts.
The destination is a mountaineering cottage and meteorological station below Zavižan peak (on plus 1600 meters / 5300 feet altitude). You can enjoy a beautiful view on a part of Kvarner and North Adriatic coast. „Snakebite“, cottage keeper schnapps will „clear your vision“. After enjoying nice view on almost whole Kvarner bay and part of Istria peninsula, we will get back to the van and transfer you to one of the famous wineries in region. Celebration party, to look back on few previous days what we had together…
Now is time for departures, transfer back to Klenovica or to the airport (optional) and end of your journey.
NOTE: All proposed daily tracks can be extended or shortened, depending on the group needs.
- can cycle for 3-4 hours
- average riding experience
- little assistance required
- comfortable with extreme curves and leans
- average experience with unsurfaced roads
- steep ascents and descents
- can cycle for 5-6 hours
- extensive riding experience
- assistance on demand (if required)
- experienced in riding a variety of bicycles
- comfortable with any terrain and weather conditions
- On day 2, on arrival to Vrbnik, you will enjoy a wine tasting of famous Žlahtina
- You will go on a boat tour of Goli otok island on day 3
This tour takes place in Croatia and it will take you from the Adriatic sea coast (Kvarner Bay) to the famous Northern Velebit National Park.
You have included in the price 2 breakfasts and 3 lunches plus 1 wine tasting.
The following dietary requirement(s) are served and/or catered for:
- Regular (typically includes meat and fish)
- Other dietary requirements on request
Things to do (optional)
Want to extend your stay a few more days? There is a list of additional places and activities for you:
- Mid and South Velebit
- North Dalmatia
- Plitvice Zipline
- Zrmanja rafting
- Bungee jump Maslenički most
- 4 days of cycling activities
- 4 days bike or E-bike rental (touring, MTB)
- Boat tour on Krk island on day 2
- Boat tour on Rab Goli otok island on day 3
- 3 nights accommodation in luxury mobile houses
- 2 breakfasts
- 2 lunches
- 1 wine tasting
- 2 days boat ride
- 4 days certified cycling tour guide, 08:00-22:00
- Entrance tickets to national park
- Transfers during the tour
- Technical service and assistance on site
- Photo and video capture on tour
What’s not included
- Personal cycling gear (gloves, etc.)
- Refreshments and drinks
- Travel insurance (optional)
- Transfers from and to airport (optional)